 Off-Topic / Debate / 14637
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:51:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

The people of the world were prideful, and attempted to construct the tower
in their efforts to physically reach heaven.  Such a plan would have
defeated the entire plan of creation, and so the Lord stopped their efforts.
The method described in Genesis was to confound their speech and scatter
them across the world.

  In that case, it's even more absurd than spiteful.  Did God really think
they'd reach Heaven?  If so, then why doesn't he smite every satellite we
launch? And if not, why didn't he let them try--and fail--since that would be a
much more appropriate lesson.  And even if the sin was the arrogance of trying
to build the tower, global dispersal is a pretty nebulous punishment, and it
falls into place with other Biblical "one guy sins so punish every generation
of his offspring"-style punishments.  Infinite are His mercies.

The document this story is from is literally THOUSANDS of years
old.  I'm willing to bet that something was lost along the way.  Any takers?

  Nonsense!  Any fundamentalist will tell you that the Bible is literally true
word for word and has survived substantially unchanged since the first oral
traditions.
  I don't hold you to that literal standard, if your assertion above is
correct, then the burden of proof is on those who claim that the Bible is a
completely true document.

Then there's the God-works-in-mysterious-ways aspect.  Perhaps this was a
clever ploy to get people to populate the entire world, and engage in more
productive activity (such as not building towers of dubious purpose).

  Ah, the God-of-the-gaps argument; we don't know why such-and-such happened,
so God must have done it for His reason.  Not a very persuasive argument except
to those who already believe in Him and his Word.

So viewing the action as both a punitive and a progressive measure, I can
hardly call the actions spite.  You want spite, you should probably check
out the Book of Job.

1.  ...and I do personally believe that King James translation of the Bible
is MOSTLY correct...

  The classic difference between precision and accuracy.

    Dave!