 Off-Topic / Debate / 14425
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta loveOracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:04:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

Yes - easier to illegally get arms.  I could get an illegal gun MUCH easier
than a legal gun, yet I choose to wait and get one following the ridiculous
laws of this state.

OK, if it is easier to get an illegal gun in states that have restrictions
on who can and how he can legally obtain a gun, then, of course, this needs
to be fixed, too.

Fixed how?  The solution I favor is to lift those restrictions.

How does the ease of illegal acquisition for criminals affect the fact that
increased lawful gun ownership decreases violent crime?

I was talking about *legal* ways for criminals to get guns. And to me, it
seems, it is only a few hours drive away for most of them. This is why I
think comparisons of criminal behavior in US states with an without gun
restrictions are doomed to miss the point. You need to compare with
situations in which it is hard to get a gun either way, legally or illegaly.
I chose Europe as the example, and have yet to see a demonstration why this
is an inappropriate example. I myself have demonstrated (maybe not to your
satisfaction ...) why comparing US states is *not* appropriate.

It IS appropriate to compare US states because we're not giving up our right to
keep and bear arms.  Whether or not you think it's safer without them, we are
committed to keeping our guns.  So in the context of a group of people who
think that the price we pay for that right is worth it, the only comparison
that will mean anything is within that group.

Chris