 Off-Topic / Debate / 14419
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:27:09 GMT

snippo
I am not saying that humanity will not change at all
any more. I am just saying that barring a collapse in civilisation, our days
of changing involuntarily are more or less over. (that doesn't mean we're at
a dead end... well it sort of does but not in a BAD way)

To Ross's point, yes, we may well make ourselves go extinct. It cannot be
ruled out. But I consider it highly unlikely already. We are at/close to a
cusp in the probability... As soon as we escape this basket, even if just to
other parts of this system, the chances go way further down. They go down
again, to almost nil, once we start colonising other systems. I don't see
1000 years as an at all unreasonable time estimate for when we will have
several viable colonies in other systems. (the fraction of the total
population outsystem may still be small but that doesn't matter)

I think these points interact in an interesting way.

I think speciation of humans on earth is unlikely: if anything we're
homogenising. Once we colonise space though I think it's almost inevitable,
if fertile humans can be conceived and born in non-earth gravity.

I'm no physiologist, and this is largely based on mediocre SF, but I think
it's quite possible that humans will evolve rapidly as a response to low
gravity conditions (if that's not a selective pressure I don't know what
is!!). More immediately, development and growth could easily be affected
(lower bone densities etc) and cultural/physical antipathy to Earth would
create a population bottleneck. Isolated population + novel environment =
classic speciation scenario.

--DaveL