 Off-Topic / Debate / 14394
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Ross Crawford wrote:

This is an interesting point. It is a generaisation, but in the UK low
income families tend to have more kids than higher earners. Many couples
(married or otherwsie) decide to have only one or no kids at all. If we
assume (again a generisation) that low income familes have lower levels of
intelligence (measured by lower levels of educational attainment) is our
gene pool geing skewed the wrong way?

Is there a "wrong way"?

I would think that most people with at least middling intelligence would tend • to
agree that decreasing the overall intelligence level of our species is the • "wrong
way".

That may be so, but I would think that most people who have a middling
understanding of evolution would agree that intelligence has little (if any)
effect on it.

Do you have a reason to think that decreasing our species intelligence is the • right
way to go?

No.

Read the question again. I was questioning whether or not the notion of right &
wrong[1] can be applied to evolution, I made no comment whether or not
decreasing intelligence was right or wrong[1].

IMO, intelligence may help us overcome various individual events[2], but makes
little (if any) difference to the overall evolution of a species.

ROSCO

[1] as applied to the way our gene pool may be skewed
[2] which may range from milliseconds to several generations, but that's still
a needle in the haystack of evolution