 Off-Topic / Debate / 14372
Re: Gray VS. Black Metroliner Nose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:31:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Josh Baakko writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
Grow up, people. Steam lost. It costs too much.

Hardly.  So what...it costs more than diesel for maintance, and since US
railways are profit orented, that's what they use (well, for the most part...I
could name a few US railways that use steam, although I cannot think of any
which are exclusively steam).

I belive Grand Canyon Railway is.

I think he was discounting tourist roads. I don't think any non tourist US
road uses steam in revenue service on a regular basis (unless you count
fireless).

Josh

Used correctly, modern steam would be cheaper

You're going to need to provide a cite and detailed analysis for that. ACE
experiments don't cut it... your costing needs to include all costs,
including on line infrastructure, maintenance facilities and costs, labor, etc.

I strongly dispute that steam, given where we are now, would be cheaper,
given the long history of capital investment in a different direction. True,
electric running costs are less than diesel but few over the road lines can
support the huge capital investment in catenary. Witness Milwaulkee road
pulling up its catenary through the Cascades.

Steam advocates argue on sentiment, not logic. If steam was logically,
realistically, actually cheaper, US roads would have switched back, they're
driven by the profit motive, after all.

++Lar