 Off-Topic / Debate / 14367
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:52:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jasper and Scott wrote:

I am sure overthrowing any government is illegal anywhere, whether you are
talking about Britain, or the former USSR, or whatever. Hence, revolution! Do
you know of the specific law anyway? Going against England in the revolution • was
illegal, technically, anyway, but I think the revolutionaries knew they were
being oppressed, they did not have freedom, and decided to "break the law".

Overthrowing the government is high treason, it'll be there in your
laws as well. [after the revolution]

Therefore, you don't need legal guns to overthrow the government by
violent means.

If you were about to do a revolution, you obviously don'\t care much
for the laws of the land.

This might sound silly, but it just occured to me as interesting that while we
have made it illegal to revolt, we have core rules that encourage revolution.
Jefferson certainly seems to have thought that periodic revolutions is a most
appropriate tool for keeping the government fresh.

Is it contradictory to enable revolutions while discouraging them?  Are we
sending mixed signals?  Or is it just another clever check and balance?  And
how much does the stance of US citizens differ from those who are international
to us?

Chris