 Off-Topic / Debate / 14364
  How do you spell Osama?

Long time readers may recall my grousing at not knowing how to spell Koran the currently correct way... well, it's not my fault. I hope this isn't viewed as debate fodder, merely information (I found it while rooting for something else that IS going (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  How do you spell Laden? (was: How do you spell Osama?)

(...) This isn't a direct response to Larry's issue, but as three-part nostalgia/humor/irony and surface-almost-relation, I'm posting. In the fourteenth note to this group -- (URL) you can find A) an interesting spelling of bin Laden, B) a joke (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How do you spell Osama?

(...) Yes. It is. A fairly good synopsis, too. (In my own work, I've had to deal with the Egyptian Colonel Arabi, who is variously "Orabi," "Urabi," "Araby," "`Urabi," and so forth.[1] "Hussein" is also "Husain" and "Husayn;" Nasser is "Nasr" and (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How do you spell Osama?

(...) btw: Horn-tooting: It was nice to see that my speculation on bin = ibn was founded. LFB (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)