 Off-Topic / Debate / 14346
Re: Anti-Semitism and Anti-Americanism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:55:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

I am impressed by the way he moved from anti-Semitism to the USA pro-Israeli
lobby without using the "Z" word. As for events in Durban, the USA cast its
own die there, and perhaps that outcome could be "rationalised".

How did we cast our own die there? (I really want to know.)

I may be wrong, but I think the USA poured cold water on the meeting well
before it even started as is was going to give its friends in the Middle
East a hard time. So if the USA did not play ball because of the way Israel
was being treated, is at any wonder they become associated with them?

I'm not happy with the bedfellow relationship that my government has with
Israel, so, no, I'm not suprised by the associations made between the U.S. and
Israel. However...absolutely hateful and unplacatable anti-Israel and anti-
Semitic rhetoric is far too common (and commonly accepted) by great portions of
the international political community.

I have partly fallen in to the trap laid by Wasserstein. One can be:
A Jew but not a Zionist.
A Zionist but not a Jew.
A Zionist Israeli but not an Jew
etc etc

The problem is people on both side choose to confuse the terms. Israeli are
very quick to call any criticism of them "anti-Semitic" and invoke memories
of WW2.

Whatever good intentions those at Durban
may have had, amending anti-Semitism didn't seem to be one of them.

Perhaps if Israel played its part in the international community its voice
too could have been heard in Durban?

Granted, it would probably be in Israel's best interests to participate on the
"world stage" but that doesn't mean that Middle Eastern countries have a free
pass to throw around absolutely hateful rhetoric in the meantime.

The longer Israel plays the bad guy, the longer the people who "govern"
places like Saudi-Arabia and Syria will have a distraction for their own
people. I expect that if Israel were to all-of-a-sudden become a good boy, a
few of the neighbours would have “internal problems”.

A congress on
racism that tolerates anti-Semitism is hollow and without moral weight, no
matter what other ills it is successful in addressing.

An honest question : But was it really anti-Semitism, or just anti-Israeli?

Scott A

james