 Off-Topic / Debate / 14320
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:46:24 GMT

In the meantime, where did you pick up Holden "Commie"? Did someone
from Australia actually say that or are you just expressing a political
preference for Fords? fut .fun

I heard "commo" and "commie" a lot while I was there. Even the Holden guy at
the torch relay ceremony Holden show tent (they had a special edition Golden
Ute there on show, it was a beaut) in Parmatta called it that. I think it's
a cute name,

and typically Strine too (eg brekkie=breakfast, kindie=kindergarten). I'd
never heard it before: as far as I knew "commo" and "commie" exclusively
referred to communist. Ross mentioned the Holden vs Ford clan rivalry --
maybe that satisfies Holden fans' need for ideological conflict.

and as I said, apparently GMH is about the best division of GM
extant since they seem to actually come up with neat stuff (cf. the Pontiac
Aztec for an example of the screwed up thinking at GM NA). So no, it's not a
Ford bias, per se.

I'm not a rev-head, and totally uninformed: does GM NA have anything like
the Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) division? I suspect HSV, the fuss about
supercars and Bathurst, the Aussie Holden cult in general and of course utes
make the biggest difference. Maybe the _lack_ of competition too -- AFAIK
Dodge, Chrysler etc haven't had much to do with Australia in the past twenty
years or so, and Euro/Japanese/Korean makes appeal to a different market.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, per se. I just don't get most of the
"obvious" arguments as being at all obvious, or even true, and I think a
healthy dose of "why"-ing might actually work to bring you and others to
wonder about it too. Besides, I'm entitled to a little "why"-ing don't you
think? Goodness knows I got enough of it from others.

So examine your premises. Why is dominance (without coercion) bad, per se?

I suspect that has a lot to do with my perspective -- I tend to see coercion
as implicit in dominance, at least in practise.

You're going to have to show that, I think. It's not at all obvious to me
that a superior product that everyone wants is at all coercive.

I meant much more generally as a philosophical principle, though I suspect
you're conflating the superiority of MS product (non-coercive) with the
superiority of MS business tactics (coercive). More on this after I've done
some more reading.

--DaveL