 Off-Topic / Debate / 14329
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 02:20:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

I'm not trying to be difficult here, per se. I just don't get most of the
"obvious" arguments as being at all obvious, or even true, and I think a
healthy dose of "why"-ing might actually work to bring you and others to
wonder about it too. Besides, I'm entitled to a little "why"-ing don't you
think? Goodness knows I got enough of it from others.

So examine your premises. Why is dominance (without coercion) bad, per se?

I suspect that has a lot to do with my perspective -- I tend to see coercion
as implicit in dominance, at least in practise.

You're going to have to show that, I think. It's not at all obvious to me
that a superior product that everyone wants is at all coercive.

I meant much more generally as a philosophical principle, though I suspect
you're conflating the superiority of MS product (non-coercive) with the
superiority of MS business tactics (coercive). More on this after I've done
some more reading.

Including things like this:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/25/1824206&mode=nocomment

ROSCO