 Off-Topic / Debate / 14304
Re: A modest proposal from a modest person
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:34:48 GMT

As more of an aside, anyone familiar with perlmonks? They've developed quite
a good system for behavior that's rather similar. Each member gets to vote
on posts (nodes) in terms of how good/bad they are. Rather similar to what
we tried here with the rating system. Differences being that:

1. Each user only has a certain number of votes per day, so you can't go
downvote *everything* by another user.

2. Getting downvoted will occasionally affect the *person's* ranking--
random chance. Also, voting may positively affect a person's ranking (random
chance-- 1 in 4 chance I think?)

The person who posted or the person who is ranking?

3. The higher the *person's* rank, the more votes they get per day.

4. If a post gets downvoted enough, it gets reaped. I'm still not entirely
clear on how that part works, but it's to that effect.

How does this differ from Slashdot ratings (which I admit I have not closely
perused the mechanics of)??? It sounds kind of similar.

Dave!, DaveL, DaveE, or Dave Johann, depending on the week?

Unless you can find some other Dave, yes.

(1 out of 4 Dave's has a spiffy little sig!)

One out of 4 Dave's <blank> has a spiffy little sig, I think.

What does the job pay?

Nothing, but you're guaranteed at least a 20% raise each year.

How many grey tiles
would I get?

No, that's how many gray HAIRS would you get...

Slashdot uses a system called "karma", and it is described in a little detail
here http://slashdot.org/faq/com-mod.shtml#cm700 it seems to work pretty well,
but it's a fairly complex system - and the hassle involved in implementation
may be more trouble than it's worth for a (relatively) low traffic site like
Lugnet. And it may be difficult to implement the "threshold" system over NNTP
(see http://slashdot.org/faq/suggestions.shtml#su100).

Sites like Slashdot also have to work around their "openness" - there's no
checks on people signing up, and you can post without signing up. Lugnet is not
that open. Not sure about Perlmonks - I think you may have to be registered to
post - but there's likely no checks done when you sign up there either (except
mailing your initial pw to the email you specify).

Can we come up with something simpler that isn't open to abuse? Being,
essentially, a private message server, abuse may not be as big a worry - in the
end, someone repeatedly abusing their privilege *can* be kicked off.

So maybe, rather than people with "low karma" posting at a lower moderation
level, maybe their posting frequency could be reduced? ie, only allow X posts
per day depending on "karma"? Maybe also limit the length of their posts? This
would limit their effect (good or bad) on the rest of the community. It also
means they have to think more about their posts, as they get less chance to
express their thoughts.

One good thing about Slashdot is that everyone only gets limited chance to vote
on other peoples' posts. This means they can't, in a fit of rage, vote -5 for
every post by another person. I think this is better than "X votes per day
depending on karma" because that allows people who build up a good reputation
(commonly called "karma whores" on Slashdot) to effectively become the defacto
"editors" of the site, rather than everyone.

ROSCO