 Off-Topic / Debate / 14303
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:28:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

MS is not a monopoly.

<text circumcision...snippy, snippy!>

1. It's not about the OS, whatever the merits of DOS/Windows//NT. It's about
producing the OS _and_ the application software (whatever the merits of the
Office suite). By developing both the platform and the applications that 90%
of users want, MS gains a massive advantage over anyone who wants to develop
either a platform or apps separately. And it's not just because they've got
better developers or a better distribution network -- they can customise
both product lines to work optimally with one another, shutting out other
developers. This is especially so when they have the inside running on new
versions of the apps and OS.

2. I'm not really interested in reviewing the anti-trust case in detail with
regard to pre-installs. I think it's worth noting how ignorant many people
are of even the most basic software customisations (like setting a new
default homepage on their browser for instance), and how unreasonable it is
that "industry standards" should be tied to a particular corporation's products.

Thirdly, OS/application "efficiency" makes it much easier
to compromise security  (and privacy?), cf Lovebug, Melissa etc.

Here you have something. I'm just not sure what. I'd say take a looksee to
see if those license provisions that disclaim responsibility are actually
enforcable...

Or build and use systems that aren't as intrinsically vulnerable...

Hit...

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0110/terror_bill.shtml

...and run!

Matt