 Off-Topic / Debate / 14302
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:54:22 GMT

MS is not a monopoly.

It has competitors, and effective ones at that. MS is dominant in certain
market segments but since there are few or no barriers to entry other than
MS competence at making good product, the net result of MS dominance (not
monopoly) is that we pay less for OS and app than we would without them.

What about the integration between OS and applications? Different market
segments right? So why should one corporation be able to leverage its
products in one segment as a direct consequence of its dominance in another
segment?

Why not?

This assertion has been made in this and other antitrust trials but has not
been justified. I see nothing wrong with it. It benefits everyone to get
more efficient products. There are no barriers to entry, so dominance is due
to efficiency and product superiority. Those are good for the consumer.

I would contend that it _is_ a barrier to entry. No other application
producer has the same access to the OS. The efficiency accrues from
interactions between the OS and application packages, as much as from any
inherent superiority in the applications.

Nothing is stopping anyone else from writing a better OS. Novell tried. IBM
tried. Novell tried buying one from AT&T...

Secondly, preinstalling Office and IE on new Wintel machines minimises
consumer choice.

Nothing is stopping any hardware vendor from not installing it and going
with a different OS, or any end consumer from uninstalling it. Nothing
except that maybe consumers don't WANT Linux on their boxes.

Okay, another couple of points.

1. It's not about the OS, whatever the merits of DOS/Windows//NT. It's about
producing the OS _and_ the application software (whatever the merits of the
Office suite). By developing both the platform and the applications that 90%
of users want, MS gains a massive advantage over anyone who wants to develop
either a platform or apps separately. And it's not just because they've got
better developers or a better distribution network -- they can customise
both product lines to work optimally with one another, shutting out other
developers. This is especially so when they have the inside running on new
versions of the apps and OS.

2. I'm not really interested in reviewing the anti-trust case in detail with
regard to pre-installs. I think it's worth noting how ignorant many people
are of even the most basic software customisations (like setting a new
default homepage on their browser for instance), and how unreasonable it is
that "industry standards" should be tied to a particular corporation's products.

Thirdly, OS/application "efficiency" makes it much easier
to compromise security  (and privacy?), cf Lovebug, Melissa etc.

Here you have something. I'm just not sure what. I'd say take a looksee to
see if those license provisions that disclaim responsibility are actually
enforcable...

Or build and use systems that aren't as intrinsically vulnerable...

--DaveL