 Off-Topic / Debate / 14040
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:05:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Everything I have ever read about WWII Japanese suggests that there was
pretty strong belief that they would likely have fought bitterly to the
end had something overwhelming happened to make the entire populace
recognize that further fighting was futile.

Just some minor picking while I try to think about that hole.

Well-- two things. First off, you may be quite right-- I don't really know
what our mentality was at the time. Perhaps that was the best information we
had available, which would mean that an A-bomb hit MAY have been the only
way to show that to the populace. However, after the 1st one didn't work, I
certainly don't think a 2nd attempt was doing much to change things.

Dan's referenced site makes the case that it wasn't a "drop one, then decide
to drop the other" plan. Both were dropped as part of the same plan, so you
should take issue with the plan itself.

But
either way, I still don't think *both* bombs were necessary. I'm more of the
mind to say that we should have waited longer to see what would happen.
After all, Stalin had just joined in the picture, and with the world focused
on it, I would have held out before attacking major civilian areas.

Dan's referenced site (accidentally) makes the case that having Stalin enter
the war was actually a bad thing for the world as the Soviets wanted to
prolong the conventional war so they could gobble more of Manchuria,
Sakhalin, Korea, etc. etc, as well as further consolidating their hold on
the countries they later enslaved in the Warsaw Pact.

It further argues that had the war been concluded even sooner that perhaps
they would not have been in N Korea at all. So if anything maybe we should
have dropped sooner!