 Off-Topic / Debate / 13992
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:45:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I posted earlier in a different thread regarding this but now I'm thinking
it should have been a separate thread. Here is some background research
regarding the decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan:

http://www.doug-long.com/

Its actually pretty extensive and not something one can just skim over, but
makes a sharp argument and worth reading.

Dan

It was interesting reading.  Lots of work went into it.  It failed to note
that there was never a decision to drop one bomb, and then another decision
to drop another (it was a decision to drop two bombs).  It noted that the
Japanese were looking for a way to save face and still surrender, then
completely ignored that the Emperor used the atomic bombs for just that purpose.

There's a fair amount of Monday Morning Quarterbacking, which it
acknowledges to some degree.  Some of the points are still worth considering
regardless of slant or perfect 20-20 hindsight (link "unconditional
surrender" from that period and "these terms are non-negotiable" in the
current situation as examples of painting both sides into a corner).

The question really shouldn't be was dropping the bomb "necessary"?  It
really was more like given our goals (and Truman's responsiblity to the
American people) was it the best solution?

Bruce