 Off-Topic / Debate / 13920
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:

Well...it ain't all that big of a trick to import the guns into Ontario from • NY
either...but, that _still_ doesn't make the crime rate with firearms in • Ontario
all that high in comparison to most major US areas.

Why do you folks obsess over the crime rate _with firearms_?  Isn't the rate • of
crime what really matters?  Or more specifically violent crime?  Killed by a
knife is just as dead as killed by a bullet, after all.

It's harder to kill someone with a knife than a gun...how many times do you
hear of people killed via 43 stab wounds, vice a single bullet wound?

Are you next going to say that if we limit access to guns, we should limit
access to water pipe-since you can blunt trama someone to death with one?

The fact is that if only 14% of murders are of strangers, reducing the ability
to kill by removing guns should reduce the number of murders, because killing
someone with a knife requires more skill than with a gun (and more "guts")

The Twin Cities in Minnesota has roughly 2.5 Million people.  I'm having
trouble digging up crime stats on the metro area, but Minneapolis has
substantially higher crime than Toronto while St. Paul has somewhat less.  And
I'd bet that most of the suburbs that are included in that 2.5M have even
less.

That's why I wanted core areas, not 'burbs.  If you take the GTA area and
compare it with a similar population area in the US, I think that the situation
would get worse rather than better.  (heck, take Canadas average to the US's
average if you are going that far...I think the statscan stuff I ref'd could
give murders/100000 fairly easy)

From poking around, it appears that Toronto has lower crime than most cities • of
similar size in the US.  That's an interesting point.  OTOH, it also has lower
crime rates than Ottawa, Saskatoon, Montreal, Vancouver, Victoria, and
Winnipeg.  So you chose the big city in Canada with just about the lowest • crime
rate of all for comparison.  But it's still interesting.

Um.  Victoria is ~350K, Saskatoon is even less.  Find US cities like that (that
are the _state capitols_ and major city in the state) and I will be supprised!

I'm sure if you compare Ottawa to DC, that Ottawa comes up better off :)

Why do you think we see significant decreases in crime rates (even over time)
when we ennact concealed carry laws?

I think you might well see signifigant decreases in murders if you banned all
handguns too...and made it very hard to get ammo.  In fact, I think you would
see a more substantial decrease than by enacting concealed carry laws.  Of
course, this would go against the 2nd ammendment to the US consitution- at
least, a majority of the population seem to think it would.

James P