 Off-Topic / Debate / 13831
Re: eBay's Auction for America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:41:28 GMT

I did not notice John had set FUT OTD. I still think it belongs in LD.

But, it is here now. :-/

Scott A

In lugnet.lego.direct, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
(Can someone please cross-post this as is appropriate? Thanks!)

All,

Like the rest of the world, we at LEGO are deeply saddened by the tragic
events in New York City, Washington D.C. and Philadelphia.

It is not clear to me if this is a gesture by Lego or its staff.

It looks like it is a TLC effort.

This is a great token of support, but I can’t help but think this is a
cynical promotional effort rather a 100% wish to do good. There are a lot of
kids on the planet, very few of which can afford Lego. I can’t help thinking
that there are better ways for companies to play their role in society and
even that there are more needy causes than this one.

You are a piece of work.  Who are you to tell people to whom they may give
charitably??

That is not my main point. My point is that by giving a little they will
also gain. I did not view it as a 100% altruistic effort on their part.
Further, if you take a look at the auctions you will see that I have bid on
them (~$850 so far).

And where is the chart that ranks needy causes (or is that just
your opinion?)

Do you agree or disagree with the "rank" I gave?

Your arrogance is only exceeded by your stupidity.

Read what I have said again.

By acting in this way, Lego is exploiting the current kudos associated with
this area of charitable activity, rather than supporting those who really
need it most.

B as in B; S as in S.  Giving is giving-- why must you taint it with *YOUR*
cynicism?

What is Lego giving? Take a look. What do you think those things cost them?

Ultimately, I expect none of the children who were orphaned on
the 11th in the USA will starve. Meanwhile, every 8 seconds a child dies due
to lack of clean water in the developing world – saving each of these lives
costs less than $20.  Give to water aid for free here :
http://www.givewater.org/

Perhaps Lego will be willing to match the winning bids with a donation of
its own to this or a more worthy cause?

Criticizing TLC here because they have chosen to help out their neighbors (yes,
LD is within blocks of ground zero) is beneath contempt.

I stand by my words.

Scott A

-John

Scott A