 Off-Topic / Debate / 13679
Re: Israel and Palestine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:01:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
Here are some 'yes or no' questions and I've already supplied my answers for
you, Larry.

Thanks for the cogent restatement!

Hopefully, these are all the answers you need:

... but forgive me if the answers raise more questions

1. Do I think the current Zionist state of Israel has a right to exist? No.

I can see your reasoning even if I don't agree... but how would the chain of
events unfold to get from 1 to 2 below? Does the current state have to
dissolve and reform as a new state?

2. Do I think the state of Israel should exist provided there is also a state
  of Palestine? Yes.

With what borders (in both cases)? Dave Low alludes to this question and
it's important... include in your answer what the role of the Transjordan
part of the partition is...

3. Do I think Jewish people have a right to exist? Yes.

4. Do I think non-Semetic European Jews have a legitimate birthright claim to
  Palestinian land? No.

That's fine, I would agree. I'd go further, *no one* has a birthright claim
to anything unless he or she inherited it from their parents who had clear
title.  So that includes the non european Jews and the Palestinians as well
in "don't have a birthright"... But IS it possible to get clear title to
land by purchase in this region?

5. Do Israelis currently deserve to live in peace. No.

This may need a bit of amplificiation. What does it mean to "deserve" in
this context? Is any sort of violence against anyone Israeli then OK?

6. Do Palestinians have the right to return to their land and homes and the
  right of self determination? Yes.

I totally agree with this. I just am not sure where this happens.

7. Do Palestinians have the right to violently resist Israeli occupation? Yes.

If one views the settlements as occupations (and I tend to do so) I tend to
agree with respect to those settlements anyway although not the whole state.

8. Do I agree with Palestinians killing Israeli civilians? No.

Can you square this with 5??

9. Do I agree with Palestinians killing Israeli soldiers? Yes.

Per 7 I agree. The IDF says "take the fight to the enemy's territory" so
under that doctrine what the intifadah is doing is just the same thing
although it seems they tend to target civilians a fair bit.

10. Is the Palestinian Authority struggling with internal corruption? Yes.

11. Do I agree that the PLO in general is a terrorist organization? No.

12. Do I believe America should support Israel? No.

++Lar