 Off-Topic / Debate / 13602
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:31:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

If so many favor it, it can be right. The choice of the majority, right or
wrong, is the one to follow. The basic principle of Democracy.

No.

Might, or mob rule, does not make right.

Rights must be paramount to the desires of the mob.

Huh... does that mean only a few can decide my rights, if I belong to the
mob? I disagree with you all the way. If more people want it, it is to be done.

I reject democracy when
it is unfettered.

(sorry, did not understand... please provide synonym. TIA)

The majority voting to deny even one single person rights,
while democratic, is unjust.

Ah, yes. See "imprisonment", not to mention "Death Penalty". Both deny the
right to freedom, and the latter the right to live. Convicts are still
people, so I assume your statement is only applicable under certain
contexts. And if it is not Universally Applicable...

I prefer a republic to a democracy. I prefer a bill of rights that is
enshrined and very difficult (if not impossible) to change, to a
freewheeling system in which anything goes and in which any bare majority
can vote in any injustice they wish.

And what if the mob has decided to make its own Bill of Rights, that the
said mob must abide for? Then the mob could only want things accordingly to
the said BoR. It would be a very reasonable example of self-contention.
Technically, we are all in some sort of mob. We for instance both belong to
the mob that would like LEGO to be a right at birth for all people (right? ;-).
The thing is a mob isn't necessarily bad. Mobs *can* act for the benefit of
all. Examples are all but scarce (Berlin, 1989, for instance).

I do not prefer the republic. We both live in "Democratic Republics" (which
aren't bad at all), but I'd rather live in a total democracy (anyone could
submit a bill for popular voting, say on a weekly basis). It is possible,
and preferable. I guess the Swiss have the closest to that, here in Europe.

Pedro