 Off-Topic / Debate / 13586
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 20:59:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Since in Florida, for example, an 89 year old person who barely passes the
eyesight test and barely passes the "can you say your name" test can renew a
previously held license for 6 years, during which they can go completely
blind and completely senile...

As for the case of the old man, it is up to him and his family to provide
alternatives - this way he won't have to drive, someone will drive him.
Question of sense.

Oh, I agree with you, totally! He SHOULD NOT be driving.

So then... you concede that since the state nevertheless issued him a
license, that licenses don't work to keep unsafe drivers off the road, right?

No. The sense of the driver will. If he has lost sense, then he is likely to
have lost the ability to drive as well.
But two things can further complicate this: Not that many people reach that
age, and I know someone who is 80 and keeps driving (rather well).

That's what the example is illustrating, after all.

That is your position on the subject. I personally think different.

So no, I don't see drivers licenses as any use for anything. If roads were
private, I am sure that most road owners would require much more stringent
proof of competence to operate on their roads than the state requires.

Or not. They would want as many people as possible to go through their roads
to pay toll;

Maximising sales does not maximise profit, study supply and demand theory to
see why.

I have. I have also studied the pattern in Portuguese highways following a
recent *mild* liberalization... BAD results, and according to what I said.

then would neglect maintenance to maximize profit.

Please demonstrate how neglecting maintenance maximises long term profit in
a free market.

It doesn't. But what if the alternatives are even worse? You HAVE to use the
bad road... and BAD things are more likely to occurr.

See the case
of the british railroads, and draw a paralell.

Not an example of a free market. So inapplicable.

But an example of "almost free" market for European Standards. And since the
UK is Europe, you can draw a parallel. And the results are bad for the UK.

This is an example of the general case assertion "regulations do not make
you safer than a free market system, they make you less safe than a free
market system"

Tell that to the millions of Russians who were left without their promised
pensions after years of hard work. I am pretty sure they curse free market
without social concerns (or regulations, from a different perspective).

Since they didn't have a free market, but rather a kleptocracy, their
cursing is misplaced. You will need to try a bit harder to refute the
assertion than that.

No I won't. Because I claim that old regulations MADE THEM SAFER than
present "wild and free" market. And they did. Refute that!

(I removed the loc.pt, it was clearly wrong)

Pedro