 Off-Topic / Debate / 13320
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:44:51 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GK3Mz9.90A@lugnet.com...
I hope it is a gross exaggeration, but I heard last night that the • sanctions
in Iraq had killed 500,000 in total.

Both you and Dan have bandied this number about before. Here's a piece • that
tries to debunk it. It is a good piece for several other reasons, IMHO.

Is the author correct that this statistic is a sham?

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?ac=006068940062214&rtmo=qKxJMMX9&atmo=ggg
ggggK&pg=/01/9/23/dl01.html

Daily Telegraph = Right Wing Rag. I prefer independent news:
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/newsid_35000/35065.stm

Great. Thanks for sharing your preferences. I prefer you not post here at
all, since you have nothing to contribute.

...and you have so much opinion to contribute. I note you have started *16*
threads in this group over the last two weeks or so.

Doubt I'll get my wish though.

Do you have any fact based debunking or is your entire critique a slur of
the source with nothing else behind it?

Read the page. Follow the link to UNICEF. Find this:

==+==
According to a report in 1999 by the United Nations Children's Fund
(UNICEF), children under five in the centre and south of the country were
dying at more than twice the rate a decade ago. The UN estimated that as
many as 1.1m Iraqis were in need of humanitarian assistance, including basic
food rations, vaccines and other medicines.
==+==

Is that enough? Or do you want to see pictures of the bodies?

Scott A