 Off-Topic / Debate / 13321
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:32:02 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GK3Mz9.90A@lugnet.com...
I hope it is a gross exaggeration, but I heard last night that the • sanctions
in Iraq had killed 500,000 in total.

Both you and Dan have bandied this number about before. Here's a piece • that
tries to debunk it. It is a good piece for several other reasons, IMHO.

Is the author correct that this statistic is a sham?

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?ac=006068940062214&rtmo=qKxJMMX9&atmo=ggg
ggggK&pg=/01/9/23/dl01.html

Daily Telegraph = Right Wing Rag. I prefer independent news:
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/newsid_35000/35065.stm

Great. Thanks for sharing your preferences. I prefer you not post here at
all, since you have nothing to contribute. Doubt I'll get my wish though.

Do you have any fact based debunking or is your entire critique a slur of
the source with nothing else behind it?

...and from Saturday's Guardian:

==+==
In 1996, Madeleine Albright, then the US secretary of state, was asked on
national television what she felt about the fact that 500,000 Iraqi children
had died as a result of US economic sanctions. She replied that it was "a
very hard choice", but that, all things considered, "we think the price is
worth it".
==+==

Do you agree with her?

Scott A