 Off-Topic / Debate / 13198
  What we can do...

This editorial: (URL) the point that it is not just the president that ought to be exhorting Americans to be tolerant, it's all of us. But what can we do. We can call for tolerance on discussion forums. We can tell our Muslim friends we like them as (...) (23 years ago, 25-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What we can do...

(...) This one is particularly difficult I think. Personally I wouldn't hand out with intolerant bigots and they wouldn't want to hand out with me either. Their friends probably think as they do so they get support for their way of thinking. The (...) (23 years ago, 25-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What we can do...

(...) Yup. (...) Well, how about Arab History Month? The Arabs have made abundant contributions to civilization throughout history in areas such as mathematics, astronomy, medicine, engineering, architecture, art, philosophy, music, literature, and (...) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What we can do... (my 2 cents)

(...) Agree. I would suggest that the Arab influence on western culture is best noted in Iberian cultures (Spain and Portugal), since the Arab presence on the Peninsula lasted some 781 years. In fact, it ended shortly before Columbus reached America (...) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What we can do... (my 2 cents)

(...) Actually, this made me think of one other thing: Spanish colonial policy. It's been pretty well proven (by Patricia Seed, if memory serves) that the Spanish tried very hard to emulate the government of the Caliphates in their dealings with the (...) (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)