 Off-Topic / Debate / 13016
Re: "The Roots of Muslim Rage"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:12:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:
Another cite. I got this one from Slate -- it's an article by Bernard Lewis
that was published in the Atlantic Monthly a while ago.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/90sep/rage.htm

Read the whole thing, but I'd like to quote from the last two paragraphs:

"THE movement nowadays called fundamentalism is not the only Islamic
tradition. There are others, more tolerant, more open, that helped to
inspire the great achievements of Islamic civilization in the past, and we
may hope that these other traditions will in time prevail. But before this
issue is decided there will be a hard struggle, in which we of the West can
do little or nothing. Even the attempt might do harm, for these are issues
that Muslims must decide among themselves. And in the meantime we must take
great care on all sides to avoid the danger of a new era of religious wars,
arising from the exacerbation of differences and the revival of ancient
prejudices.

"To this end we must strive to achieve a better appreciation of other
religious and political cultures, through the study of their history, their
literature, and their achievements. At the same time, we may hope that they
will try to achieve a better understanding of ours, and especially that they
will understand and respect, even if they do not choose to adopt for
themselves, our Western perception of the proper relationship between
religion and politics."

He's half right. This *is* an internal Muslim issue, but the (technically
non Muslim, by many interpretations of the Koran) radicals have forfeited
the right for it to remain solely internal. They are going to get some
outside interference whether they like it or not.