 Off-Topic / Debate / 12928
12927  |  12929
Subject:
Zogby Reuters poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:41:46 GMT

Excerpted from the latest poll, completed on the 16th, reprinted without
permission:

(start)

Respondents effectively differentiate between terrorists and either a
specific ethnicity or religion as 84% of those surveyed consider the U.S. to
be at war with a small group of terrorists who may be Muslim, compared to 8%
who say the U.S. is at war with Islam. However, when asked if Islam is a
religion that encourages fanaticism, 38% say they agree, 42% say they
disagree and 20% are not sure.

Americans have a positive overall opinion of Arab Americans (62% favorable,
16% unfavorable), but have far more negative opinions of Arabs in general
(45% favorable, 33% unfavorable). Similarly, Americans have an overall
positive opinion toward Muslim Americans. (56% favorable, 19% unfavorable),
but a far more negative view of Muslims in general (43% favorable, 30%
unfavorable).

(end)

I guess I find myself agreeing with the "is Islam a religion that encourages
fanaticism". Many religions do, of course, but all three of the Mosaic ones
seem to do so more than say, Buddhism or Hinduism.

But even if it *does* encourage fanaticism, the notion that anyone thinks we
ought to be at war with Islam overall (even 8%, which is a lot) is darn
scary. It's the fanatics we ought to be concerned about, not Ali working at
the local convenience store, or as an engineer at IBM.