 Off-Topic / Debate / 12554
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:16:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
hmmm...  Can you quote ANY source (I'll even accept palestinian sources for now) that says that the cheering was not for the success of the attack?

The Syrian, Egyptian and Saudi Arabian broadcast news made note that
portions of the footage shown on American TV were actually unrelated to the
attacks. You must take everything with a grain of salt. I don't doubt that
there were Palestinians who celebrated this blow to our nation. I think it's
sad that a people are reduced to such stupid behavior, but I am certain that
it stems from their frustration of having their homes and land taken away
and subsequent occupation by Zionists.

It's never been a secret that America has supported the Israeli occupation.
The Palestinians ARE civilians and HAVE been repeatedly attacked by the
Israeli military and even Israeli citizens and such violence begets
violence. It's all a tragedy in my opinion and too many innocnet people have
suffered on both sides. And now that suffering has been inflicted upon our
citizens and we must truly answer: Why did this happen? Why were innocent
civilians murdered and what does this mean?

If in fact the motivation for this brutal attack was hatred for America's
support of Israel, then can we argue that what happened yesterday could have
been avoided if we didn't support Israel? I know a lot of Americans,
including Jews, who feel exactly this way. I hope we can come together as a
people and question our government's dealings with other nations. I'm an
American and I've never supported our policy with Israel and I don't feel
it's fair that innocent Americans should fear for their lives because our
government quite possibly pissed off a group of people to the point they'd
go and do something this horrible.

As for the "brutal military occupation for 50 year", that's for a whole other debate.

Not really if the motivation for the attack was hatred for America's support
of Israel.

"unarguable role in fostering aggression and hatred"... hmmm... excuse me, I want to argue this.  How has the US forstered aggression and hatred, please tell?

Perhaps you should turn on your TV and take a look at what just happened.
Someone is mad at us and was hateful and stupid enough to carry out perhaps
the most devestating attack against our soil in the history of this nation.
We must ask ourselves why and what can we do cooperatively with the rest of
the world so that this never happens again to any nation or people.

Dan