 Off-Topic / Debate / 12549
Re: War
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:10:05 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:
Let me just say that we, as Americans, should not be so sheepish to jump on
the war bandwagon. War against whom? How in Heaven's name will killing other
civilians ever make things better in the world? That is not justice, that is
revenge and no one has the right to condemn the citizenry for the sins of
it's government or leadership. The attack yesterday is proof of that, we
shouldn't make the same mistake and become "indiscriminate" murderers.

I didn't actually hear anyone advocate attacking civilians.  I guess I only assume when various gov officials say war, they mean war on terror, on the terrorists.  I may be wrong, of course...

Yesterday morning I went to get my hair cut and the hairstylist was
commenting on the attack. I only said that I hope the people responsible
will be brought to justice. She said "They're all Iranian." Hopefully such
ignorant comments are few and far between. If we resort to such thinking we
are no better than those who carried out this attack, Arab or otherwise. It
is yet to be determined who carried out this attack (usually a group will
step forward and claim responsibility).

if any group would to claim responsibility for this terrible act, they would have by now.  I don't think anyone will - no one wants to face the reaction of the US here.  Btw, and I'm not saying this is more than a coincidence, but weren't Bin-Laden's other attacks unclaimed as well?

We should avoid stirring up hatred against Arabs. I recall the hours after
the Oklahoma City bombing and the immediate call to arms against certain
Arab nations, not considering that it may have been one of our own citizens.
At this point, we still don't know who is behind this. And if it turns out
the ethnicity of the attackers is Arab, it does not justify blanket hatred
of Arabs. We'd be no better than the Nazi's with regard to the Jews of Europe.

Absolutly, 100% agreed on this.

Regarding the scenes of Palestinians cheering after the attack, I have
learned that the footage shown (or several portions of the footage) was
possibly before the attack, and was the Palestinian reaction to Israeli
troops withdrawing from that town. Around the Arab world, the feeling is
mostly one of shock and outrage. If the Palestinian footage is indeed in
celebration of the attack, then such behavior is very disappointing. But I
want to remind everyone that the Palestinians are a people who have suffered
under brutal military occupation for nearly 50 years. Their cheers are
perhaps no different than our own when the bombs rained on Baghdad, even
though innocent civilians were being killed in both cases.

hmmm...  Can you quote ANY source (I'll even accept palestinian sources for now) that says that the cheering was not for the success of the attack?  I would defenitly say it's "disappointing" except that I have come to expect such a reaction.  If they cheer when a bomb goes off in Jeruzalem, killing innocent civilians, what's the difference in this case?  Both the Hamas and Islamic Jihad said that while they didn't carry out this attack, the US deserves it.  Do you think they did not cheer in their HQ when they got the news?

As for the "brutal military occupation for 50 year", that's for a whole other debate.

What happened yesterday was a murderous and destructive act of hatred
against our nation. But it should also be considered a wake up call to our
government for it's unarguable role in fostering aggression and hatred
around the world, and within our own borders as with Oklahoma City. The
innocent shouldn't be condemned and suffer and die for the sins of the
leadership. We should seriously examine why someone, or some group, would
feel compelled to carry out such a horrible act. There are several lessons
to be learned here, the main one is that killing innocent men, women and
children is wrong. Most important, let our comments rest on peace and
justice, not war and revenge.

"unarguable role in fostering aggression and hatred"... hmmm... excuse me, I want to argue this.  How has the US forstered aggression and hatred, please tell?

Dan Boger