 Off-Topic / Debate / 12131
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:22:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Crime has a natural tendency to rise, in any situation  -  maybe because
population also increases, or social instability, or whatever causes crime.

Disagree. Do you have any cites on that? This is such a multivariable
problem I'd be surprised if anyone can produce cites that demonstrate
anything, although I'm certainly fond of the ones that seem to indicate that
right to carry states tend to have lower crime rates... although it's a
tough comparision, no two states (or no two years for the same state) are
the same sort of apple.

No, I'm afraid I do not have any cites. But I have never heard of any place
where crime rate was low *and kept descending* in a constant way. The
contrary seems however verifiable in most places of Earth where human
presence is felt significanty. Crime increases where I live, and any
punctual decrease in crime rate is exactly that: punctual. It will increase
again. Maybe it will reach a point of equilibrium when crime causes hit
stability, whatever the causes are.
Of course, I agree with you that crime is a multivariable problem. But it
seems to me the highest crime rates are verified in places where many people
live *concentrated*, and where society is less balanced. Please note I am
restricting to Violent Crimes, those committed with guns; other sorts of
crime are way out of my interest.
For instance, Scandinavian countries are scarcely populated and quite
balanced in wealth distribution, and have a moderate (low, maybe) crime
rate. Seems supportive.
On the other end, Brazil: Too few too rich, too many too poor. Overcrowded
metroplis, in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. As a result, we here (Portugal)
have been watching a constant inflow of brazilian middle-class, claiming to
be afraid of everyday violence. Same is happening in Australia with South
Africans.
In the US case, I can only speculate (and assume my ignorance about the
following matter). Maybe "right to carry states" are more like Scandinavia
than Brazil, as for populational density and wealth. I dunno.

++Lar (I bet Bruce could make meaningful comparisions if it weren't for the
fact that he burned his hands boiling water in them though.)

Sorry, didn't understand what you meant. Bruce? Burnt hands? You managed to
disorient me here, mate.

Cheers,

Pedro