 Off-Topic / Debate / 12130
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:00:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

Crime has a natural tendency to rise, in any situation  -  maybe because
population also increases, or social instability, or whatever causes crime.

Disagree. Do you have any cites on that? This is such a multivariable
problem I'd be surprised if anyone can produce cites that demonstrate
anything, although I'm certainly fond of the ones that seem to indicate that
right to carry states tend to have lower crime rates... although it's a
tough comparision, no two states (or no two years for the same state) are
the same sort of apple.

++Lar (I bet Bruce could make meaningful comparisions if it weren't for the
fact that he burned his hands boiling water in them though.)

I mentioned Texas - high handgun density, death penalty, high murder rate.
But I bet I could find another state that had high handgun density, the
death penalty, and a low murder rate.  I rather expect it has a lot to do
with the local character and attitudes.  I think Americans as a whole tend
to be too wacky to be trusted with toting handguns all the time, but I like
being able to revolt against King George at the same time, I must
admit(hmmmmmm, King George, George Bush.....nah!).

"poached hands" Bruce