 Off-Topic / Debate / 12097
Re: Go ahead, make my day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:14:44 GMT

"maneuver one's self to be the foreman once deliberations start" which is
also very useful, (or so I hear).

How is this choice made?  It seems that the one time my jury duty lead to
hearing evidence for four hours before they settled at lunch time, we didn't
have a foreman.  When is there and is there not such a position?  And how do
you get to be it when there is?

Well I hear it usually is up to the jury to decide who the foreman is using
whatever mechanism they decide on, I understand being foreman is perceived
as being a bit more work, so I have heard that people will happily go along
with it if one person volunteers to do it.

At that point whip out the FIJA information (from memory, you might
get arrested if you bring literature in) and share with the rest of the jury
the duty to judge the *law* as well as the facts.

(regardless of the instruction of the judge who will tell to judge only the
facts, not the law)

Arrested for what?

Jury tampering. Apparently being more informed is bad. Taking notes is bad
because you then might remember more than the others did. Having any
reference material with you is bad as well.

To a certain extent I sympathise, because it should be the honest and true
opinions of all the members rather than a rubber stamp of just one person's
opinion...

A foreman has a duty to make sure every opinion is heard and that the
deliberations proceed in a way that enables that. But that doesn't mean a
foreman can't have an opinion and express it when his or her turn comes.