 Off-Topic / Debate / 12040
Re: National vote on handguns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:36:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Trobaugh writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:

That argument won't stand up in court.  Well, maybe it will in Texas...

Here’s where I got this: http://64.78.178.125/stat00/index.htm
Need I say more?

(clipping lengthy legal text - see previous message if you need to)

No, you needn't say more: it's reassuring that I got it right.  You can't
shoot someone for stealing a crust of bread.  There has to be the reasonable
belief that the person is going to do something extremely dangerous
(physical assault, arson, kidnap, murder. etc.).  Someone being in your
house uninvited is NOT open season to shoot first and ask questions later.
It's pretty darn clear about it.

Bruce

Awww, but it does say that you "believe" they are going to cause you harm.
If someone breaks into my house, I'm going to "believe" that they could be
there to cause harm to my family or myself. I will not first ask them their
intentions, when it comes to my family shooting first will be my response.

*Reasonable* belief is what the text refers to.  I can't make a better case
for there needing to be a required course and test on firearm safety and law
than the various responses I'm getting.  :-)

Bruce