 Off-Topic / Debate / 11761
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:27:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

Wrong.  I'm protecting the constitution from you.  And I'll win or die.

Spot on. Those that sacrifice freedom for peace shall have neither.

Strange, but my idea of freedom is not living in constant fear of being
shot.  That's why each of you wants a gun - to defend yourself against all
the others who have guns.  It doesn't even occur to you that everyone else
wants a gun because they don't trust you with one either.  It's a culture of
incredibly selfish paranoia.  There's anything noble about it.

The constitution was written in a completely different time, when arms were
muzzle-loading muskets and rifles - about as effective as throwing a knife,
but much longer to prepare a shot.  These were highly conspicuous when
carried in the street, and rarely kept loaded because of the risk of
personal injury (that and the risk of looking foolish when the powder and
shot fall out).  There's nothing noble in taking regulations for a standy
militia and twisting the meaning to justify these escalations in civilian
armament.

Jason J Railton

Whew!!

now it all makes sense. The forefathers considered how long it took to load
a muzzle and the likelyhood of the ammo spilling out when they proposed the
right to bear arms...