 Off-Topic / Debate / 11688
Re: Laws about sex.... (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:23:49 GMT

Even if it can sometimes avenge or even prevent crimes, the link
between most kinds of writing and future events is too tenuous to generaly
admit as evidence. I would not object to a perp's written letter to newspapers
or the police being used as evidence, but that seems materially different.

  Yeah--a journal is, traditionally, a private forum for articulating one's
thoughts.  A letter to the papers could easily be construed as a statement
of intent.  I'm still torn, though; in college I argued passionately for the
impossibility of identifying authorial intention in writing, but a case like
this seems more of a grey area.

Further, It seems to me that this particular deranged individual might need
some kind of ficticious outlet like that to let off steam so that he needn't
bend to his internal pressures.  Obviously I'm speculating wildly, but I think
that making a case for there being a victim of a fictional story is pretty
tough.

  Working with your speculation: if through his writing the individual was
able to achieve some kind of release that he didn't then have to seek in
real life, I say let him write whatever he wants!  It's hard to distinguish
between written intention and written fantasy, but you're right; a fictional
victim is hard to avenge.
  One caveat I would offer, though it's not ironclad, depends on the names
of the children as given in the journal.  If they referred to children in
the neighborhood or previous victims, I might regard those as mitigating
circumstances, but I still don't know how exactly to treat them.

It would depend mostly on how the journal was recovered.  I'm assuming that
enough detail can be matched between the 'story' and the event to be
reasonably sure that coincidence can be ruled out.  If the evidence was
obtained legally, then it should be presented to a jury.  If they aren't
sure, then they shouldn't convict.

  I can't recall the specifics, but I remember a case some years ago about a
man suspected of killing his wife or mistress, but little evidence was found
other than files on his computer including (I seem to recall) a list of
"things to do" to accomplish the murder.  He asserted that the files were
preparation for a novel he was working on, but I don't think the jury
believed him.  I wish I could remember more about it.

    Dave!