 Off-Topic / Debate / 11646
Re: What is spam? (was Re: Scary Survey results about the US First Amendment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:56:30 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

their condition. I recognised your rights based outlook on this, but I think
a mature democracy should be able to make a decisions and ban such material.

And as always, I'm frightened of your 'mature democracy.'  An unfettered
democracy is potentially as bad as any dictatorship.  Heck, with a dictatorship
at least you have some chance of a cluefull guy at the top.

Not to mention that a dictatorship is often more easily changed than a democracy -
you only generally have to get rid of one person (and maybe some key henchmen).

Maybe.  If there is no victim, there is no crime.

Flatulence has many victims, but it is not a crime. If there is no law,
there is no crime. :)

Good point!  Let's do away with most of them.  :-)

It certainly would free up a lot of money wasted on jails and the court system
(could free it up for legitimate crimes or prevention, if not for non-judicial
uses).

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/