 Off-Topic / Debate / 11514
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:21:37 GMT

(arguably I'd even lump moral and immoral together for the purposes of
partitioning and go down to two classes. There are things that morality is
relevant to, and things that it isn't. There are no other possibilities)

I can go with that. Moral and immoral both imply that the relevant thing has
morals, accepted morals or morals which go against custom. Either way, it's
still a moral. Whether it's moral or immoral is a matter of perception.
Amoral on the other hand means that the relevant object has no morals
what-so-ever.

Interestingly, my thesaurus give these replacements for “amoral”.

Unprincipled
Unethical
Dishonourable
Unscrupulous
*Immoral*

Scott A

Funny, my dictionary here at work (The American Heritage 3rd edition) gives
this definition: Neither moral nor immoral

Try dictionary.com and see what you come up with. (or should I do the
legwork for you?)

Tell you what, I'll mail you my dictionary if you'll mail me your thesaurus
and we can compare. Then we can debate what the "true" definition of "is" is
while we're at it. When we've figured that out, we can send our results to
Bill Clinton.

-Duane
I think my can of "Troll-be-Gone" just went empty.