 Off-Topic / Debate / 11511
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:00:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

Seeing how horrid our agricultural practices are...

Do you have any cites for this?

Then I'll rephrase it: "Seeing how horrid much of America's meat related
agricultural practices are, in my opinion,..." Is that more reasonable?

"Meat related agricultural..."  Seems a little vague to me, but I think I
understand what you are getting at from the rest of the thread. You'll also
have to bear with me since I am at work and am unwilling to go to either
site while at work. (I'm not sure my employer would be amused with my
curiosity.) I will give them a shot when I get home tonight or tomorrow.

Now, from personal experience. Once again I will state that I was raised in
a farming/ranching environment to hopefully qualify my opinion.

There are regulations that ranchers *must* adhere to. For instance: My
cousin has 600 head of cattle on his ranch. Current regulations limit his
feedlot capacity to 200 head. Therefore, at any time he has 200 head in the
lot and the remaining 400 on pasture land.

There are no steroids used in his beef production, only inoculations and
vaccinations. The diet of the cattle is strictly vegitarian (no mad-cow
disease here) and is made largely from bi-products of the farming portion of
his business. Mainly corn, hay and grass. He will add mineral suppliments to
the diet depending on the health of the herd. His ranching philosophy is
consitant with what I remember from my childhood. I can only assume that the
rest of the cattlemen in the area follow the same philosophy.

Now to the slaughter of the cattle... What is a humane way to kill on a mass
scale? Mass lethal injection? I don't think I would like that - it might
contaminate the meat.

I don't remember being to a slaugher house where I have actually seen cattle
killed. Maybe I could make that a field trip later this summer to satisfy my
own curiosity. I can only debate what I know. The cattle that I *have* seen
killed were just a few, which were shot at close range then transported to
the local meatlocker for processing. Now keep in mind that these few were
our own cattle, which were killed by us, processed by a professional, then
consumed by us. It all seemes humane to me. Your opinion may differ, but I
guess it all depends on experiences.

I feel the need for a bit of reading on this topic so
if you have some site cites that you feel present the case in a reasoned
way, that would be great.

Following the subtext of your statement above, reasonably speaking, it's
obvious you take issue with my opinion or perhaps disagree with part or all
of my statement. If that's the case,  perhaps it would be more reasonable if
you provide cites to counter my statement. Likewise, presenting the case in
a reasoned way would also be great. Meanwhile, you may find some reasonable
reading material, as requested, at the following sites:

http://www.peta-online.org

http://www.CowsAreCool.com

Thanks.

Dan