 Off-Topic / Debate / 11507
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:28:17 GMT

I'm not sure that direness is the right metric.  Sometimes non-civil disorder
is the only way to actually accomplish anything.  I've never done anything >with
or like ALF actions, and I've never bombed abortion clinics.  But I understand
the thinking behind them.

I understand the motivation too, I think (who can be *sure* they understand
the motivation of others?). But I cannot condone force initiation. We must
exhaust the rule of law first before we get that extreme.

I share your concern about farming practices. Over pesticiding and
monoculture are very bad and have severe long term consequences. But I am
not sure I see an easy way to get those who practice them to share the true
costs of their actions, as we were all discussing pretty recently.

It must be frustrating to see injustice that hits home and not be able to do
anything very effective about it unless you get violent.

I KNOW it is frustrating to me, since I think our current political party
system is fraught with injustice, and worse, we are trampling all over the
bill of rights on a regular basis

Perhaps it is time it was brought into the 21st century? Much of it is based
on the English bill of rights which dates back to 1689.

Scott A

(I need to go back to Matt G's point by
point and refute it point by point... too little time). But what is to be
done? We CANNOT and MUST NOT take the Kazcinski (sp?) or McVeigh route. That
way lies madness.

++Lar