 Off-Topic / Debate / 11452
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 15:55:39 GMT

Honest question-- is this possible? I know that killing lobsters
"incorrectly" makes them poisonous to eat.

Really? That's something I didn't know (but then again I dislike all seafood
anyway so I know very little about it). Just out of curiousity, how does it
make them poisonous? Is there some sort of drastic chemical change that
happens when they're killed? Does the boiling water prevent this?

Why miss opportunities to be humane? It's good self
discipline and shows character, in my opinion.

Completely agree. However, since I don't kill my own cows, I feel quite
morally distant from the act of their death-- But I certainly would advocate
being as humane as possible.

Cool.

I think if people are going to eat meat (or not), they'll appreciate it more
if they know where it comes from.

While it may be beneficial for their learning, and help them in other
aspects of life, I think it will do nothing but devaluate their enjoyment of
meat itself. Just want to make that clarification if that's not what you
already meant.

Seeing how horrid our agricultural practices are, it's good that it would
devatuate their appreciation. There's very little to appreciate about it, in
my opinion. Hopefully it would spark a movement for humane meat production
practices. I prefer better meat over no meat at all, if you were wondering.

I am positive that if people feel connected, they appreciate things more,
even killing and eating animals. I love the tomatoes my wife grows and
they're extra special because she grew them. I have no problem eating the
flesh of other animals so long as the animal was raised and killed humanely,
or hunted and killed. By the way, I'm very positive about hunting. Most
hunters I know believe in a clean kill and use the meat well, and most
advocate respect for nature and wildlife.

Once in great while, I have kebobs from meat from Islamic stores which
obtain their meat from more humane, healthy sources. I appreciate the fact
that I can eat something that was raised well and slaughtered mercifully,
and without all those nasty hormones and chemicals.

I don't think any of us agree that animals aren't poorly treated-- again,
it's merely dissassociation. The more we disassociate with it, the less
immoral we feel.

That's true. We kind of turn a blind eye on it. Yeah, it's too bad it
doesn't work the other way. I'm not a fan of apathy and blissful ignorance.
I honestly feel we'd be better off as a society to strive to be well
informed about our food sources" "Soylent Green is people! ARRGGHHHHH!"

Alright then, poor example. Let's suppose I was given a button to push. I
was told that pushing the button would give me food, and was asked to push
it. It gave me food as promised. However, unbeknownst to me, the button was
*also* mutilating children when I pressed it. Was I immoral? No. *BUT*, if I
ever found out that it *was* mutilating them, and I *still* pressed it, then
I *am* immoral. Better example?

This is very good example, but your first was okay. I agree that once you
become aware of something that is downright cruel and destructive, it is
wise to stop contributing otherwise you become a part of the problem. This
goes for many things. Thanks for your posts, by the way.

Dan