 Off-Topic / Debate / 11447
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:46:36 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:
   If you didn't make it...
   If you didn't buy it...
   If it wasn't made or bought and then given to you...
          --then--
   It does not belong to you.

I don't believe in the notion of "finders-keepers."

Hmm, since we've been playing with taking interpretations to extremes to
see how they work out, a technique which I wholeheartedly endorse...

- Can you justify your ownership of anything metal? The metal was
"found".
- Can you justify your ownership of anything plastic? The petroleum
products used to make it were "found".
- Can you justify eating anything? Even the vegetables you eat are
derrived from something which at one point was "found".
- Can you justify breathing? The air you breathe was "found".

I conclude that the notion of "finders keepers" is not absolutely
flawed. However, we do put limits on it. For example, if you find money
on the ground, in theory you are supposed to make an effort to find the
owner, or at least make it available for them to claim (the last time I
found a $20 bill in the parking lot, I made a trip out of my way to
security to turn it in to them to make it available should the owner
claim it - I never got around to checking if it had been claimed after
the 30 days or whatever they hold such property). You are not allowed to
"find" things on other people's property (I have even seen signs on
beaches asking you not to take the sand - though they didn't shake you
down to make sure you didn't accidentally carry any sand off in your
clothers - presumably what they are actually concerned about is folks
taking a truckload of sand to fill their kid's sandbox, and may not
really care if someone takes home a small jar of sand to remind them of
their summer vacation).

If you do really believe that "finders keepers" is totally wrong, I'll
be happy to make an effort to return your LEGO to it's rightfull

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com