 Off-Topic / Debate / 11443
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 05:20:39 GMT

Ok, I noticed something odd while mulling over the topic on my way home last
night... While I admitted elsewhere that I agree to a certain degree of
immorality for eating meat, but that it was negligible, I'm actually not
sure that's the case-- at least not always. Here we go. My position
restated. In considerably more detail.

I personally don't like lobster, but I *have* been around when it gets
cooked, eaten, etc. I get to see them alive, then I get to see them die,
then I get to watch them get eaten. And *every* time I've seen this,
*that's* when I've felt the immorality I speak of. Was it immoral of me to
have allowed the lobsters to be killed, solely for our dining pleasure?
Sure. But not so immoral that I would actively do something about it.

I say if you must eat them, at least kill them swiftly before tossing them
in the boiling water. Why miss opportunities to be humane? It's good self
discipline and shows character, in my opinion. For example, when an old and
sick or dying pet animal is put to rest, we don't saw, chop or boil it to
death, we administer a nearly painless death with drugs (or a bullet in the
brian). At least it's a quick death that even we would someday prefer should
we become so ill or aged.

Compare that to my eating a steak. I never saw it alive. I never saw it
killed. And the small chunk of meat in front of me bears little resemblence
to a cow, or even any sort of living being. Hence, eating it inspires not
even the slightest bit of moral or immoral reation in me. It's an amoral
act.

I think if people are going to eat meat (or not), they'll appreciate it more
if they know where it comes from. I think we shouldn't lose touch with
nature. Too much of the meat we eat is overprocessing and we're better off
without all the additives.

I challenge all meat eaters reading this post to visit a slaughterhouse
sometime in the near future. I'm not saying, and never said before, to give
up meat but I know going to a slaughterhouse may spark some outrage. Perhaps
it will change the opinion about how animals should be treated.

Let's suppose I unknowingly stole something. I saw a TV sitting in a field
and I took it. Little did I know that the field was actually *owned*
property, and so was the TV. Was the act immoral?

Hmmm. Well, here's my rule about ownership and it works for me:

   If you didn't make it...
   If you didn't buy it...
   If it wasn't made or bought and then given to you...
          --then--
   It does not belong to you.

I don't believe in the notion of "finders-keepers."

Dan