 Off-Topic / Debate / 11442
Re: Lobster Bisque (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 03:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

along came the bus, which I boarded, so my lie was magically
transformed into a truth.

Forget the magically appearing bus-- what I find totally amazing is that you
actually spent 90 minutes with a Scientology recruiter!  What did they do, bar
the door shut?

   It was a combination of things.  I think I've demonstrated by now that I
can't help leaping into the argumentative fray, so when the opportunity
presented itself to go head-to-head with an apologist of such a... litigious
cul--I mean, religion, I couldn't resist.  In addition, they sort of suckered
me in, since I didn't realize that I was actually in the Austin, TX
headquarters of that fine faith.  Out front they had a "FREE IQ and Personality
Test," so I figured, why not? without recognizing the building.
  The test was very clever (though I only recall enough to caricature it now),
and it had a bunch of yes/no questions along the lines of:

"Did you love your mother when you were a child?"
"Yes, of course I did."
"Oh? So you don't love her now?"

and

  "Do you still beat your wife?"
  "No, of course not!"
  "Oh!  I'm glad to hear you stopped."

Afterwards they give you a graph of your personality traits broadly broken
down into three categories:

  1) Okay for now but will probably need our help soon
  2) Just barely passable and in imminent need of our help
  3) I can't believe you made it this far--you desperately need our help

I wasn't at the highest point of my life, but I was surprised to find that I
rated solidly in category 3, with the exception of IQ, in which I just barely
scored a 2.  Apparently the idea is to make the test subject so desperate for
help that any assistance will seem like good assistance, so they scheduled my
appointment.
  I'll spare the details of the sales pitch, but basically the meeting entailed
a propagandist review of Scientology's many good works, complete with celebrity
testimonials (why else, for instance, would Travolta have made Battlefield
Earth? (though my meeting took place years earlier))  Very little of the
meeting actually dealt with the principles of Scientology, but I recall a
contract one had to sign prior to being admitted to The Church and which, among
other things, forbade contact with former Scientologists and required the
applicant to swear not to disclose Church doctrines to the uninitiated.
  Anyway, I caught the bus, so that was the last I dealt with them.

     Dave!