 Off-Topic / Debate / 11427
Re: The purpose of lugnet.off-topic.debate (was Re: What is spam?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 03:03:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Gerber writes:
<snip>
I am of the opinion that lugnet.off-topic.debate should not be a place to
BEGIN subjects, unless, again, they are related directly to some aspect of
our LEGO hobby. If an individual wants to participate in political, social,
or any other kind of discussion, there are places on the Web set up
specifically for that sort of thing. Since the people who participate in
those places are expecting to debate those topics, it is completely
appropriate there, but not at LUGNET.

You've got a point, but it's not directed at the right group. *All* the
off-topic groups are meant to discuss *non*-lego things, which is why
(well... sorta (1)) they are on the default skip-filter. Perhaps the
reasoning was a tad flawed in creating off-topic.debate without creating the
so-called "on-topic".debate; lugnet.fun was opened for posts after a bunch
of people got to complaining there wasn't an "on-topic".fun, if that makes
sense (2).

lugnet.off-topic.debate *is* for nonlego discussions (or shall I say
flamewars? <sigh>). So in that sense, you are definitely free to turn the
fliter on. I personally turn it off occcasionally (3), but then once a
thread starts being very large and flame-y, I tend to turn the filter back
on. <shrug> There are some really bright people around, and some really
bright immature ones too. ;-) But I shall name no names. ;-)

-Shiri

(1) The main reason they are *really* on there is that the huge threads in
.admin and .o-t in general got to be overwhelming, and Todd didn't want
newcomers to be hit by them on the (then) front page of LUGNET.

(2) If it doesn't, check out this post to see what I'm talking about:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=5358

(3) It's not the only group I block out, but it's the only one that changes
position. ;-) I don't read .technic for example... but I never turn *that*
one back on... etc.