 Off-Topic / Debate / 11395
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Duane Hess writes:
Chris:
Neither the lion nor the wildebeest is concerned with
morality.  It is an action completely without moral regard.  It is
therefore amoral.  But not immoral.

Scott:
I agree.

My position is that we should not infer human characteristics on animals. We
should judge them by their standards - not ours.

No no, your position on whether animals are moral/immoral OR amoral. Do you
think they are moral/immoral or amoral?

None. Calling an animal moral/immoral/amoral is anthropomorphic - that
belongs in childrens books.

First, you still haven't clarified what you were agreeing to above.

Really? Do you understand what "none" means?

Yes, I do. However, I do not understand how that answered the question. Were
you saying "None of the above"? What were you saying? Should I just infer
what you were talking about? I asked for clarification.

You need to be clearer then.

What don't you understand? And how did "none" answer the question? I'm still
confused Scott. Am I to infer your meaning? I've asked several times now for
clarification and you have not even tried.

Second, by saying that animals ar not moral, immoral or amoral you do not
add to the discussion by not stating what you beleive. I interpret your
stance as either 1)animals have morals which are nothing like human morals,
or 2)animals have not morals what-so-ever. Do either of those come close to
the mark? Please clarify.

Duane, read what I wrote again:

"Calling an animal moral/immoral/amoral is anthropomorphic - that belongs in
childrens books."

That is a re-quote, not clarification. What part of my post didn't you
understand? You obviously have some sort of notion as to whether or not
animals have morals, I'm just trying to find out what that notion is.

I have answered this already.

If your position is in fact the one above then you wouldn't be allowing
yourself to even HAVE an opinion on the issue, and yet above you attribute
amorality to the wildebeest's action, and at the same time disagree with
Larry, which means you hold that animals MAY be moral, allowing for
attribution of moral consideration.

You can perhaps save yourself by saying that you meant that the ACTION, but
not the ANIMAL is amoral, but then you still run into the issue above.

I can't find the post you refer to.

I think it stemmed from this post, or one of the follow-ups.
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11297

I did not find it as Dave talked about the "wildebeest's action" - it was in
fact the lion's.

To what
extent are we a member of that society?

I vote. I pay tax. I work for the good of my society. I rely on it. It
relies on me. I am a member.

To what extent are certain others?

What others? Selfish people?

Can we pass judgement on society?

Why not? Some societies are clearly questionable.

Why are some societies questionable? Is it the societies moral standards? I
find the morals of my own society to be in question as they do not
necessarily reflect my one standards. Are you judging another society based
upon the society that you belong to, or based upon your own standards?

I can not comapre my personal values with that of a society on a large scale
- you may if you wish.

If you feel other societies are "clearly questionable" then you have already
made a comparison - it's only natural. When looking at something new,
regardless of what it is, you (generic "you") compare it to what you know.
That is how you form a like/dislike for something.

You are missing the point.

That's probably because I can't tell what your point is.

Scott A

Scott A

-Duane

-Duane