 Off-Topic / Debate / 11356
Re: 3 Question (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:01:45 GMT

<snipped some stuff here and there>

Is it true that if a dolphin is sick, others push it to the surface
so it can breathe?  How do we know that's a thought through action rather than
an instinctual response?

Same could be asked about women with motherhood (motherly instincts). How
much is learned, how much is hard wired? Most people disagree but I really
believe that people are hard wired with so many more bahaviors than we would
like to admit. Here's a funny example: Think about men smacking their female
mate on the tush. Behaviorists conclude that this is handed down from our
primate cousins as a way of saying "you're mine." And it's funny to see
gorillas doing that in the zoo and imagine them scratching in the kitchen,
going to the fridge and smacking their wife on the tush as they walk off.

Dan