 Off-Topic / Debate / 11357
Re: 3 Question (was: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:35:15 GMT

It seems that your observation of an animal acting on what I think could be
explained through instinct and self-interest has lead you to assign morality.
I'm not convinced.  I'm quite convinced that dogs exhibit emotion, problem
solving skills, a sense of self, and pretty sophisticated intellect.  But I
don't see a claim for morality.  But I'm also not saying it isn't there.  Your
presented 'evidence' however, I find lacking.

The question is, what constitutes proof of morality? Prove to me that *you*
have a concept of morality. Perhaps morality itself is instinctive, even?
Once you can draw the hard line between instinct and intelligence you've
made a tremendous breakthrough-- primarily because I personally think that
thought is instinctive :)

Do dogs have a moral sense? I think so. Is it on our level? No, probably
not. But then again, it requires a definition of morality, which I think is
developmental based on both a social perception and emotional desire. We
develop morality by equating others' desires with our own-- and personally I
think those traits are open to animals... just not fully explored...

Good call!  On the other hand, if you were going to get someone to acknowledge
that another animal is like humans in cognition, dolphins would be animal of
choice.

The tricky part is defining where the line gets drawn. Not to pull back
evolution as a topic, but how about the Ancient Egyptians? How about
cavemen? How about Cro-magnon man? How about monkeys? Etc. At what *specific
point* (and yes there must be one to say that animals don't and we do,
unless you don't accept evolution) does morality come into the picture? At
what *MOMENT* do humans posess morality? When we're a 2-celled organism?
3-months? 12? 2 years? What has to happen to merit being called moral?
Selecting the dolphin isn't really any better of a choice than a tortoise,
except that as humans, we feel that we are closer to dolphins.

DaveE