 Off-Topic / Debate / 1131
Re: constitutional discussion (was:Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 00:05:56 GMT

Richard Dee wrote:

Larry, LP stance? It seems some of my statements might mirror
LP philosophy. I hate sounding like a political party. Much
more fun bashing them.

No particular LP stance. Divisive issue, but we're a big tent.

There are those of the libertarian persuasion, including myself, who are
not convinced that soverignity requires territoriality, that is, that
only one governmental system should be granted a monopoly to govern in a
particular geographic location. But that's such an outre idea that it
raises a number of eyebrows so I shan't debate it.

if you're keen on reading about anarcho-capitalistic (franchised out
government) societies, read Across Realtime by Vernor Vinge. Good story
in its own right, and plays with the idea nicely.

Me, I'd rather debate stuff like whether the (E1 SW) Trade Federation
were actually capitalist or not (they aren't), or how to go about
privatizing the Tennesee Valley Authority. (sell it)

Govermental theory is all screwy. And I can live just fine in a
minimalist government society even if they have a territorial power
monopoly.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.