 Off-Topic / Debate / 11292
Re: Did animals have rights before we invented rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 05:09:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:

At any moment a person can kill another person.  No matter the laws
implaced, it is a natural ability for an animal to find a way to overcome
its forseen oppressor.

Unless you are amoral, the fact that you can kill someone does not mean, in
and of itself, that you have the RIGHT to do so. It merely means that you
have the ability to do so.

Animals are amoral. In their system, might makes right. Humans, while they
are still animal, can choose not to be amoral. To do so means repudiating
the notion that force is the only mechanism for deciding outcomes. That is,
humans transcend the merely animal.

If you cling to the notion that might makes right, are you human, or are you
merely an animal?

++Lar