 Off-Topic / Debate / 11232
Re: Is this sexism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:56:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

I think that companies should give women a day (possibly two) sick days off
per month to deal with the physical symptoms of their menstrual cycle.

Is this suggestion sexist to the core? Is it really true that men and women
are equal in everything? In that case, why should women get extra "perks"?
Is that unfair to men? If implemented, would this give women an advantage,
or perhaps just lessen nature's disadvantage? Is it really open to abuse or
does it sound reasonable?

My opinion on this issue is similar to mine on other issues regarding the
personal goings-on of one's life (e.g., what kind of substances one uses,
whether a person feels it's time to leave this earth, what one does with one's
own reproductive system, etc.)-- the government has absolutely no business
legislating on this matter.  In this case it is a matter between a woman and
her doctor.  It is the business of her employer only insofar as it affects the
woman's work performance.  As others have already noted, provisions can often
be made so that a woman does not need to torture herself by trying to get work
done when she is not feeling up to par.

On a practical level, I think it is an even worse idea.  There are plenty of
people who would resent this policy.  Employers might resort to underhanded
tactics to avoid hiring (or to let go) women because they worry about
productivity.  Some men may think it is discrimination, and some women who
don't have a problem may also think it is unfair.

I once worked for the Federal government in a job that was predominantly male.
Some of the men were up in arms when they discovered that there was a sofa
(actually a hideous vinyl chaise longue) in the women's restroom.  They assumed
we used it to take naps and loaf on the job.  When someone suggested that it
might be there in case a woman wasn't feeling her best (implying menstrual
problems), the uproar was worse.  I can just imagine how it would be if someone
suggested legislating what might be perceived as preferential treatment
regarding menstrual periods.

Maggie C.