 Off-Topic / Debate / 11168
11167  |  11169
Subject:
Privatised endangered species
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:23:05 GMT

Hi all,

We were discussing free market solutions to environmental issues a while back.
I was just reading the March 2001 Smithsonian magazine, and there is an
article called _The Rhinos Are Baaack!_.  In this article it discusses private
game reserves in South Africa and the state of Rhinos.  Apparently, there has
been a huge increase in the breeding population since the endangered species
were privatised.

Does anyone know about this?  There was one breeding population of white rhinos
in the 60s and now there are 5000.  That sounds like significant progress to
me.  It also talks a bit about the protest to so cavalierly handling endangered
megafauna.

I just thought it was interesting related to our earlier conversation.

Chris