 Off-Topic / Debate / 1099
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:35:52 GMT

Richard Dee wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 1999 23:40:30 GMT, Larry Pieniazek uttered the following
profundities...
Better that
a hundred guilty walk free than that 1 innocent be unjustly punished.

Why the death penalty was abolished in the UK. Shall we go
down that road? Would the incorrect execution of one
individual sway the overwhelmingly favourable attitude towards
capital punishment? I don't see that such an event would
sway opinion, somehow.

In fact, I seem to remember that Michael Dukakis (former govener or
Massachussetts and one time presidential canditate for non-americans and
those with short memories) caught flak for being soft on crime for
finally officially recognizing that Sacco and Vanzetti were wrongly
executed (outside of Massachussetts schools, is this case studied?).

For those who don't know who Sacco and Vanzetti were, they were a pair
of imigrants who were fingered as being communists and involved in a
bank robery in the 20s. I don't recall all the details, but do know that
well after the fact, it is recognized that the trial was a whole sham
and the real evidence linking them to the crime non-existent.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com